17 shooters participated in the first military silhouette match of 2022, with several shooters attending after years of absence. (They soon discovered that our friendly banter was omnipresent; some things never change!) The weather was pleasant, and clothing layers were shed as the temperature rose. Even the wind was behaving; more often than not, spotters observed a boil.
After the safety briefing, squad assignments, and yoga session 😳, we were ready to knock down some steel targets!
- Filipe came from the Bay Area to attend this match, and Marty and Jim came from Susanville.
- Marty was able to shoot from the prone position, although he didn’t like doing it.
- Joel’s rifle had issues but no worries: he’ll make up for it after his new M96 arrives.
- Tom had two ringers on the Ram line! Still, he earned the high score (35 out of 40).
- Dave missed the narrow blade of the front sight on his 1903A3 rifle.
- Chuck’s M1A was sporting a M21 trigger; it is front-weighted so the final pull is very light. Chuck commented, “It makes rapid fire challenging!” (Presumably very rapid if one isn’t mindful of its unique behavior.)
- It was suggested more than once that certain shooters shoot Chickens offhand. “Heck, no!” was the reply, “This is the only match of the year where I get to shoot Chickens from prone!”
- The Match Director told his squad to clean the Chicken bank. Unfortunately, he neglected to tell Dave, who then proceeded to miss one (and only one) Chicken. After Jim and Chuck cleaned their Chickens, their attention turned to the lone standing Chicken. Jim took aim, and missed! Chuck took an offhand shot, and missed; ditto for Jim. “I think it’s time to move on, guys. 😳”
Our next match is Saturday, March 19. Click link->Expect inclement weather as per usual for March.
|Jim K.||M1 Garand||10||6||10||7||33|
|Joel M. 👑||Finnish M39||9||4||10||3||26|
|Dave R.||M1 Garand||9||5||10||5||29|
|Dan L.||Swedish M96||10||5||10||2||27|
|Erik R.||M1 Garand; 1903A3||10||4||9||1||24|
|Don J.||Swedish M96||8||1||8||5||24|
|Phil S.||M1 Garand||9||3||8||2||22|
|Jim B.||M1 Garand .308||6||3||7||1||17|
|Tobe S.||M1 Garand||6||0||6||1||13|
|Marty D.||M1 Garand; M1 Carbine||5||0||4||2||11|
|Mark K.||M1 Garand||4||0||3||0||7|
|Filipe||K31 & a lever gun||3
Click an image to open gallery: